Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dance! Dance! Dance! Favorite Family Dance Party Tunes

I have no doubt that at some point in their lives, my kids will be dancing on tables. I just pray I don't have to hear about it. For now, I love dancing around the (kitchen) table with them. Family Dance Party is my current favorite form of exercise and here are some of our favorite tunes to dance to. What are your faves?



1. Forget You - Cee Lo Green



I'm just going to assume this is already on your playlist.







2.Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti & Spearhead




Every time I hear this song, I smile. I smile and I dance. If I'm driving, I smile and I bounce around in my seat a lot. If you don't own it already, go to iTunes and download it immediately. I'll wait.







3. YMCA - Village People




Not only is it great for kids to learn how to turn themselves into letters, but it's a mandatory social skill that wedding guests be able to participate in this song. So, if you don't teach them this song, you're putting them at a distinct disadvantage and I know you don't want to do that. (I leave the Chicken Dance, the Macarena and the Bunny Hop to your discretion, however).







4. Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney




I love to sing along while I dance and this song is perfect for that. At two years old, my daughter knew to end this song by saying, "That'sa Nice!" It was one of my proudest mommy moments.







5. Grease re-mix - Olivia Newton John & John Travolta




Not only does this bring back wonderful college memories of being sloppy drunk off cheap keg beer and dancing with your girlfriends but it's just fun for everyone.







6. Car Wash - Rose Royce




I kinda love disco (shh!) and this one's great because little kids can have lots of fun pretending to wash cars while they dance.







7. Hips Don't Lie - Shakira




Go ahead and shake those hips like you've got rhythm.







8. Celebration - Kool & The Gang




Again, Wedding Guest 101.







9. Philadelphia Freedom - Elton John




Perfect for running around the house, while alternating fist pumps in the air. If you have short shorts and knee-high tube socks, even better. How much do you love Elton?! He's the best and he's the best in concert. I once won tickets to see him at Madison Square Garden - I died. To quote Rachel Zoe, Literally, I died.







10. Dancing Queen - ABBA




Trust me - nothing will make your heart happier than watching your daughter dance around the house, singing "I'm a dancing queen."







11. Mamma Mia - ABBA




This is a great way to reinforce the message that Mamma's are awesome and that kids should never let them go. Little ones don't listen to the verses, so all they'll get out of this is the important message that kids should love their mamma's forever - and what's not to love about that?!







12. Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) - Beyonce




There are enough viral videos out there of kids jamming to this song that I don't need to elaborate.







13. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen




Get your 80's on with the decade's famous head bob going and side, step together action. Swing your hands, snap your fingers and you're all set.







14. Friday - Glee Cast




Hate on it all you like, this song begs to be danced to. Plus, you're dancing with your kids in the kitchen, you're well past the point of trying to impress anyone.







15. Proud Mary - Ike & Tina Turner




You've got the hand-rolling motion, followed by the jogging in place, then throwing your hands up in the air, action. It's all good.







16. Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams




As is evidenced by my love of the Grease re-mix, I love it when I can point my finger in sweeping gestures while dancing and this song is perfect for that. Plus, Robbie Williams just doesn't get the love here that he deserves. He is pop-tastic.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...